Monday, February 26, 2024

Utah VIII


As I have previously posted, just a little south of Salt lake City is West Valley. The Utah Cultural Celebration Center is located here and it is home to a memorial to the American and Vietnamese soldiers who fought side by side in the hopes of bring independence, peace, and freedom to what was South Vietnam.

In continuance of my Faces of Remembrance series, I feature these faces today.

This is the American

This is the Vietnamese


I will note here that it is unusual for sculptors of these types of memorials to use the likenesses of actual people in their representations. As you might well imagine, doing so could lend itself to legal issues down the road. Sometimes a composite is created of various parts of several individuals. I could find no indication that this was what was done here.

Next time, on the 2nd of March, we will revisit Virginia, so meet me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Utah, or any other state, please click a state name for the list at the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else for that matter. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

UPDATE: I did not realize just how poorly these pics were going to post. They are crops from larger pictures and are disappointing to me. My apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment