Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Massachusetts XXXV

While in Boston last fall, I had my first encounter with Uber. For all the hype and my high (yet, untested expectations,) it did not go well.

First, the driver could not seem to negotiate the access road to the building I was in front of. He missed the entrance more than once, but eventually figured it out.

So, OK, I told him where I was going and off we went. So far, so good.

I gave very specific instructions as to where I needed to go, so when he pulled into a parking area and said, pointed ahead of the car and said " I don't know exactly where it is, but it is in there, a local park.

Well, fine. I started to walk around the park, looking for signs or any indication of where the memorial might be. Nothing. I started asking strangers if they knew of the memorial and to a person they did not.

Finally, a very nice couple walking their dogs pulled out phones and spent quite some time trying to help. We got a rough estimation of the location and off I went. I was (and am) very grateful.

The distance was well over a mile away from where this guy dropped me off. I had walked a half a mile or so in the wrong direction, looking and was PO'd to say the least, but figured I could walk it. 

Big mistake. I have some mobility issues and should not have pushed my luck. I was so mad at Uber and this clown that I (stupidly and stubbornly) refused to call them again. 

Lesson learned and I must say that the next few experiences with the service were flawless.

So, enough whining, here is the memorial that I ultimately found.

The East Boston Vietnam Memorial is located in a small park ( a different one!) on Liverpool Street and resembles the Wall in D.C., as so many do.

Entrance from Liverpool Street



Ten men are honored here from among the 58,281 lost or missing from our efforts in Vietnam.

Next time, on the 11th, we will revisit New Mexico. Join me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Massachusetts, or any other state, please click a state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials, not seen here, to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else for that matter. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment