Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Pennsylvania LXV

It is interesting to see the various ways artist represent or interpret our memories of Vietnam and our efforts there.

I have written before about how artist rarely use likenesses of actual people in their renditions of soldiers in their work. The exception to this, of course, is when they honor a specific subject like a Medal of Honor recipient for example. 

Most often they choose a variety of characteristics from different people: eyes from one person, nose from another. This helps prevent legal issues about their work down the road.

Today, I want share two faces from two different statues in Pennsylvania. The differences are quite stark and represent two different approaches to this issue.

The beautiful memorial in Reading features a lone soldier ( you can see my original post from Reading here and here.)

The artist opted to make him faceless, a face (a life?) destroyed. Perhaps a statement: unusual and gripping at any rate.

 
 
In nearby Pottstown, the artist went in the opposite direction emphasizing the pain, disillusionment, the 1000 yard stare resulting from too much seen.(Original post here.)

I, of course, am making some assumptions here as I have no first hand knowledge of just what the artist had in mind. I have seen literally hundreds of memorials in the 15 years I have been on this journey and am making an educated guess. 

I would like to hear what you think.

Next time, on the 26th, we will revisit West Virginia. Join me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click a state name on the left side of this page. 

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron from Florida, Tim from Virginia and Molly from Florida have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. I even got one from Ireland! These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment