Friday, April 29, 2022

Pennsylvania XXXVII

It was a wet and cold day when I finally got to head to Pennsylvania once again. I had just finished up in Reading (you can find that post here) and decided to see what else was in the area. I had read that there was a small memorial in Pottstown which was only about thirty minutes away, so off I went. 

The memorial was pictured as a small four sided memorial to several wars and was supposed to be on a particular corner, but when I got there, I could not find it anywhere.

I found a place to pull over and started hunting on-line once again, thinking that maybe I had gotten in wrong. I found something about a park in the town with some memorials and headed over.

The park had several full sized memorials in it but I didn't see one to 'Nam. All there was was this gazebo and a sign about an All Veteran Walk of Honor. There were lots of names and some were honoring those lost in Vietnam. Nice, but it was not what I had expected or hoped it would be. (I'll feature that Walk in a later post.)

 

I walked up the steps into the gazebo just to look around, and there, out behind it I found this.

I have often spoken about how I have never been "weathered" out of a photo. I've been in rain, snow, 117 degree heat, etc., but always got the pic and you can see that the weather on this particular day was not the best but I couldn't pass up this great site.

The "plaza" in front of the memorial has a continuation of the many, many names on the Walk of Honor.


We will return to this site in the future, there is a lot here and it deserves to be seen.

I have said previously that my buddy Steve and I have run into situations before where memorials we had info on turned out to be incorrect and we have talked about and learned a bit about persistence. What started out as an effort to photograph what was by all accounts a rather small, somewhat nondescript memorial turned from disappointment to finding this wonderful site honoring so many.

Next time, on the 4th of May, we will return to Virginia, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment