Sunday, July 4, 2021

Independence Day 2021

The following is a repost of something I wrote in 2017. It still seems right to me as none of the facts have changed.

Enjoy! Happy Independence Day to all!

The Independence Day celebration is always a bit of a mixed bag for me.

I remember as a kid how much it meant to me and my anticipation and worry about if my folks would take me somewhere to see fireworks? Usually, they did, but I always worried.

As an adult, it seems important to continue these traditions and to honor those that have allowed us to retain our independence. Vietnam and more recent wars  have never really seemed to be about our independence and we all know the questions, right or wrong, about whether or not we should be engaged in wars of dubious intent and outcome.

As a Grandparent, I want my grand kids to know and understand what Independence Day is all about and to enjoy their thrill at all the festivities.

As a 'Nam vet, well that is a completely different matter all together.

I hate the noise, and God, I hate the smell, and what it has all come to represent for me. So, each year I wrestle with the question of what am I going to do?

I don't want to go.

I know many vets that feel the same way.

But, the grandchildren love it, just as I did all those many summers ago, How many years will I get to treasure their joy as they grow up and away? Also, I do not ever want to pass on my anxiety, so I work to keep it masked from them.

So, today, I will swallow what I feel and take my girls to the fireworks and concert in our area and watch them laugh and thrill to it all.

And, I will hope that they are never burdened with their own memories and doubts.

I hope you all have a great day.

Jefferson statue at Williamson, Va.
OK, on a lighter note, a quiz.

When was the Declaration of Independence signed?

July 4th, right?

Well, no.

It was signed on July 2nd and sent to the printer. He didn't get around to printing it until the 4th and, hence, used that date. So, the rest as they say.....

Detail from Jefferson's writing

Next time on July 9th, we will have an update on a memorial in Wasilla, Alaska, join me then, as always, at 9:00am.

To see Vietnam memorials from any state just click the state name on the left side of this page.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment