Saturday, July 24, 2021

Delaware XVII

About 5 miles southwest of Wilmington, Delaware is Newport and I had heard or read that there was a memorial there. So, on a recent trip to the area I decided to check it out.

As luck would have it when it came to writing about it, I could find absolutely nothing. I had my pics, but no information.

Not one to give up easily, I searched and searched my various sites to gather some information. Nothing. So, I began to wonder how it was that I even knew to go see it? I could not find a trace of it in my notes etc., but the info had to be somewhere.

Happily, in stumbling around the internet I was able to discover that it was originally a Pearl Harbor Memorial.

Note that the weapon is sinking to the left.
 

Dedicated on December 7th, 2014 it includes a number of markers to a number of our Nation's wars.

 Vietnam is among them.

I found it interesting that the dates and the numbers seem to date from The Gulf of Tonkin era. This is not too uncommon although I am never sure why this happens. We had had soldiers in 'Nam for nine years by 1964, the first of which was killed in 1956 and the final total of those lost is 58, 279.

 I have written before about what sometimes seems to be an effort to rewrite history, often, it seems, to blame Kennedy or Johnson for our involvement in Vietnam. I could be very wrong but it often feels as if there is a political agenda behind these efforts. As I said, I could be wrong, I hope so.

This memorial may be found at the intersection of E. Market Street and S. Augustin Street in Newport.

Next time, on the 29th, we will return to Florida, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Delaware, or any other state, please click the sate name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment