Sunday, August 27, 2023

Texas XXI


Anthony Rives from Texas was kind enough to send along these photos from the Community Center in Whitehouse. Whitehouse is about 20 minutes southeast of Tyler and less than two hours from Dallas.
 
 
This memorial was a Eagle Scout project of Joseph Mohr, as are a few others around the country. One in Jacksonville, Illinois pops to mind as I write this. You can read about that one here.
 

This memorial, like so many others in small towns, remembers and honors those who served in several wars.

Plaques on the sides honor specific service men or women.  

Predictably and sadly, much space as been allotted for future names.


So, I will end today with a special thanks to Tony Rives and all the others who have forwarded me remembrances from places I have never been. You all make this a better site and I am forever grateful. When this project started it was important to me to actually stand in front of and take every picture that is featured here. I still have some of those feelings but realize that more vets will benefit from the contributions of others.

And that has always been the point of A Means to Heal: to let other vets, especially 'Nam vets, know that people everywhere care. For many of us that was always in doubt, hopefully those fears have been allayed by these and other memorial across the country.

Next time, on the 1st, we will make a very quick stop in Vermont to see a memorial that I hope one of you will be able to help me identify. As in the past, I have lost track of its specific location and like in the past I hope you will be able to help.

To see additional memorials from Texas, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment