Tuesday, August 22, 2023

South Dakota XXIII

So, today I am here to make a correction.

A short time ago I posted about a memorial that I said was from North Dakota, even though at the time I said that there was some confusion (only on my part) about that.

The pictures had been sent to me by Molly Macdonald and I misinterpreted something she said in her note.

These pictures which I am re-posting here, where they belong, are actually from South Dakota.

Taken in Belle Fourche, they honor those who served in Vietnam

                                                     Photo by: Molly Macdonald

                                                    Photo by: Molly Macdonald


An interesting note about this particular memorial is that well over $1,000 was raised by Middle School students collecting pennies to help fund it.

Also, Belle Fourche happens to be the geological center of the United States and there is a beautiful memorial noting that here, too, among several other memorials in Memorial Park.

Geographic Center of the U.S. Photo by: Molly Macdonald

So, with apologies to my readers and Molly, I will say that I finally got this right. It has always been important to me to be as accurate as possible when "placing" memorials so that if anyone is ever interested they might visit them in person. I have commented in the past about how much misinformation there is out there about these memorials, so I want you to be able to locate them more easily that I have on occasion.

Next time, on the 27th, we will return to Texas where yet another reader has recently sent me some photos. Join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from South Dakota, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. 

Several of you have followed through in the recent weeks and helped me to continue spreading info about how we honor our brothers and sisters who served in 'Nam, thank you again, and please to everyone else, keep writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment