Monday, August 7, 2023

New York XXIX

Once more I am turning to photos sent by a reader, Mike Minnick. Mike has sent me pics from a couple of different places and today we are back in New York.

Mt Morris is the site of a magnificent tribute to all veterans and this stone honors several.

                                                                         Photo by Michael Minnick

When I first saw this stone, I thought it was to honor LCPL Yencer, but came to discover that he was actually honoring the men from his unit in 'Nam who were lost.

                                     Photo by Michael Minnick

Tex, Bell, Doc, and Sparks may well have been the only names known by Yencer. It was common in "Nam and I guess other wars as well, to not get too close. Often, purposely not learning last names or full names. to avoid the trauma of loss.

                                                                              Photo by Michael Minnick

Roger Yencer was a local hero who loved his comrades, his town, and his country and was well known to aide his community in any way he could. He died in 2020 and today, I honor him.

Next time, on the 12th, we will visit North Dakota, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New York, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

So, as this request has garnered some response lately, I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment