Monday, January 22, 2024

Colorado XXXIX

I was leaving Colorado the next morning and really wanted to find this memorial before I headed home.

The odds were seemingly stacked against me. I had popped my Plantar Fascia that day which had really slowed me down. I arrived on the south side of Denver just as twilight was beginning. As is so often the case, my directions to the exact spot were somewhat weak, but then I saw it. In a parking lot that seemed to belong to a Costco, it stood.

Located in what is known as "Little Saigon" it is a tribute to all who tried to save South Vietnam. It was kind of interesting because every sign, bright neon, was in Vietnamese, row after row of stores and businesses.

By the time I parked and gather my camera it was nearly too dark to proceed, but not knowing when, or if, I would ever get back to Denver, I took my chances.

These are just a couple of shots from the site, I expect to post more at a future time.

An American and a Vietnamese soldier stand together in defense of the country.

No names are listed here except the small silver colored plaques on the right that thank various donors and supporters.

Other than this plaque, no additional information is provided, but this link will take you to a site that offers some insights.

https://www.historycolorado.org/story/2023/10/06/cause-freedom-remembering-vietnam-war 

I include this detail because it matched the head of a cane I purchased while in 'Nam and was wondering if any of you know any information about it. It seems to me that if it is so common that there might be cultural significance or a story connected. Anyone?

Next time, on the 27th, we will revisit Kansas, so meet me there as usual, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment