Saturday, March 5, 2022

Iowa IX

The effort continues to find new and hopefully interesting memorials or faces to write about until I can get back on the road. I have reasons that I cannot travel but this is neither the time nor place.

I have written about Freedom Rock before. It is a magnificent tribute in , Iowa that you can read more about here

The very first picture was a tribute to those who fought and were lost in 'Nam and as I pointed out in the original post, will never be replaced.

Today, I have attempted to pull out two of the faces to add to the Faces of Remembrance series that seems, at least for the time being, to be becoming a dominate feature here.

We see in these two faces a guy in-country and a guy sometime after his return to the world.

Perhaps the same guy.

If you go back and look at the original post you will see that this guy is one of the helicopter crew. The years have taken their toll on face but you can still see the sadness in his eyes.

This guy, older and wiser, still has some of the sadness. We don't know how old he is or what he has experienced since, but the war is still taking its toll.

This guy, taken from the Parkersburg memorial site (here) in Iowa, seems the embodiment of the 1,000 yard stare and one can only wonder what his "after" picture would reveal.

As I write this we are several days into the Russian invasion of Ukraine and I find I just cannot watch it. My wife watches it, she works for D.O.D. and cannot seem to turn away, while I must. I wonder how many others of us feel the same?

I will ask, at the end of every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state from the lost at the left.

Next time, on the 10th, we will return to Kansas, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Iowa, or any other state, please click on the stare name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment