Friday, February 18, 2022

Florida XXIV

Orlando, home of the "World's happiest place"(or something like that) is known by all. However, just a bit more than 20 miles NNE is a reminder that the world is not always happy, not always a place of fantasy.

On the north side of  Lake Baldwin is a veterans park and among the several memorials there is a a beautiful remembrance of our participation and partnership in the effort to help our Vietnamese allies.

I have written about this site before and you can find that post here.

Today, as I have been doing so often lately, I will share the faces of the two soldiers, one American and one Vietnamese, in the continuing Faces of Remembrance series.
 

 


I wonder if you see the same thing I see in these photos? I have noticed over the years that sometimes the artist will not focus on the actual face of the soldier depicted in a statue, but rather on some other feature or in an attempt to create an "everyman." Not often, but occasionally. (You will see that most clearly in a future post from Pennsylvania)

Look at the difference in these two faces. The detail in the American seems, to me, to be much greater than that of the Vietnamese soldier. At first I thought that it might be to some bias on the part of the sculptor, until I recalled that this is a memorial erected by a joint Vietnamese- American group, so that makes no sense at all. I wonder what is happening here, or am I just imagining the differences? Am I wrong?

The park may be found at 2380 Lake Baldwin Lane. 

Next time, on the 23rd, we will revisit Hawai'i' for something a little different, so join me there at 9:00am

I will ask, at the end of every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state from the lost at the left.

Reach me at the email listed on the left.

To see additional memorials from Florida, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment