Thursday, October 7, 2021

California XXXVII


California as demonstrated here as many, many memorials to those who served in the Vietnam war. with a population of roughly 40 million people, perhaps this should not be a surprise. While searching out sites, I ended up in Westlake Village which is in Los Angeles County, but practically on the border with Ventura County.

A relatively small area with a population of under 10,000, it is quite wealthy and a number of very wealthy and well known individuals call it home.

I could find no specific Vietnam memorial but ran across this beautiful cemetery and decided to check it out.

 
 
The POW/MIA flag caught my attention and I thought that perhaps there was a memorial here.

This turned out to not be the case but I did come across a number of grave sites for some of our comrades.
 


 
The arches in the center of the many sites have an eternal flame which sadly you cannot actually see in this pic.
 

As I was preparing to leave, I ran across this marker and while not quite a memorial it stills feels powerful.
 

So, the visit turned out to be quite moving. the name of the cemetery is The Pierce Brothers Valley Oaks Memorial Park and can be found at 5600 Liydero Canyon Road in Westlake village.
 

Next time, on the 12th, I hope to have been back to Delaware, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from California, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment