Wednesday, April 1, 2015

North Carolina IX

North Carolina has always held a special place in my heart. My ancestors settled there when they were forced out of Scotland. There is even a school not too very far from Fayetteville named after a long gone relative. I, also, did my Basic Training at Fort Bragg and I still have beloved cousins who live not too far away. So, I enjoy visiting and have taken advantage of all this to visit many times.

To continue from the last post (scroll back one if you missed it) visitors to The Wall, in D.C. have left warehouses full of mementos, personal items, pictures, medals, uniform pieces and a myriad of other items. So, too, here in Fayetteville. Now, this Wall's visit was very short and yet I discovered several things that were left by a loved one. It fascinates me that for some of us, the war was 50 years ago and yet there is still a need to make these contacts and connections. Still a need to find some reason, solace and perhaps, a little peace. I hope those that left these found a little of what they were seeking.


Each of these many flags was dedicated to a particular soldier. The soldier's name and that of the donor were prominently displayed on each flag.




This one boasted a poem written by a loved one to the one lost.



A simple unit patch. People leave what they have.



Others have much more. This looks like the "year book" we got leaving Basic Training and some photos probably from 'Nam.

Our next visit will be in Pennsylvania, so join me there, on the 6th, as always at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from North Carolina, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment