Friday, March 27, 2015

North Carolina VIII

A couple of years ago, my friend Steve and I traveled to Fayetteville, North Carolina to participate in and photograph a Vietnam Welcome Home event and over the next two posts I want to share some of what we saw and were part of in N.C.

The predominant feature was the large scale model of The Wall. Set in an open field with a sea of small flags in the front of it, it was , just like the one in D.C. visited, touched, photographed and wept at, by the many, many who came to visit. I do not know the total number of visitors, but I do know that they planned for a certain number of Vietnam vets and that they were way off in the estimations. Each Vietnam vet was given a challenge coin and several other items and mementos and when Steve and I registered we were told they were long gone. They promised to forward then when more copies were received and I am happy to say, they did so.


 Here is a slightly different view of this great presentation of The Wall.




I managed to catch this Docent helping a vet find a name. It is one of my favorite pictures


A grim reminder of what so many suffered was strategically placed in the middle of the flags. In a different building, not too far away, was a more detailed display and information on those held captive. I will post about that some time in the future.


This final picture shows the universal appeal of The Wall as a woman makes a rubbing of a name. I did not interrupt her or ask whom this might have been, these moments are just too personal.


I did think the little girl peeping out from behind her Mom was just too cute.

The rubbings that people make are an ongoing tribute to lost loved ones. So, too, are the many things that get left behind. There are buildings full of these offerings around the D.C. area full of the pieces of peoples lives that they choose to leave behind with their loved one at The Wall in D.C. and next time, on the 1st of April, I will share some of what was left at this brief visit of The Wall in North Carolina. So, as always, join me on the 1st at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from North Carolina, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment