Monday, March 2, 2015

Nevada III

Henderson, Nevada is a town that sprang up during WWII to help with the war effort. Twenty five percent of all the Magnesium used by the War Department during WWII came from Henderson. Located some 15 miles south of Las Vegas It was a quick trip down to see The Wall that I had read about. Or, so it seemed.

My buddy Steve and I drove down and searched for quite some time, only to find road construction, dead ends and no memorial. I was pretty disappointed, but was finally forced to admit I was not going to find it. I figured that maybe all the construction in the area had displaced it, it has happened before.



While returning from other trips around the state, I decided to give it one more try, I really did not want to miss a memorial, if it was actually available. I called the City Hall and was told that the memorial was right on the grounds and that the first directions I had been using were wrong. So, we made it over and I am very glad we did. As you can see it is quite a memorial, a little off the beaten path, somewhat hidden by the building and some trees, but well worth the effort.



The memorial itself is made up of several walls, each honoring different groups of people. There are currently more than 1500 names of those who have served and/or were lost. there is a central fountain and several flags throughout the site.





There is a specific wall for KIAs, now numbering four, with way too much space, one hopes, for future additions.



I have mentioned on other posts that I am always pleased to see War Dogs remembered, as they are here.



As mentioned earlier the memorial is located at the Henderson City Hall, but is hard to see from the street. You can wander around the building and find it, but we walked in and were directed through the building, perhaps a little easier.

Next time, we will wander back across the country to New Jersey. So, please  join me there on the 7th, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Nevada, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment