Thursday, April 16, 2015

South Carolina V

Beaufort, South Carolina is one of those remarkably beautiful places that you never forget. Lots of water, Spanish moss and all the things that my mind, at least conjures up when I think of the deep South.

We, Steve and I, actually, only spent one night here. The hotel we stayed in was managed by by an Army vet, now retired and she went out of her way to look out for us.



The memorial is located  right on the water in Henry Chambers Waterfront Park. I tried taking a few shots at night when we first arrived but was not particularly happy with them. so the next day, I got these to honor the 13 from the area that were lost.


 
 
 
 
 
The complete inscription reads:
 
  Dedicated to Those Who Selflessly and
Willingly Served Their Nation During
The Vietnam War.
Their Hearts Were Tempered In Fire;
Their Souls Forged On The Anvil Of War.
No Glory Of The Moment Was Awarded,
Yet History Will Keep And Honor Them Forever.


NOR SHALL YOUR STORY BE FORGOT,
WHILE FAME HER RECORDS KEEP.
O'HARA
 
I couldn't end this post without posting a couple of pics showing the beauty of this place. I hope you enjoy them.

The above shot is taken from just beyond the memorial and the one below is about 90 degrees from it.



Next time, on the 21st, we will return to South Dakota. Meet me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from South Carolina, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a beautiful, peaceful place for a memorial.

    ReplyDelete