Sunday, January 5, 2014

New York V

Finding this great memorial in Rochester was a chance encounter. While researching information about a memorial in West Virginia, I was directed to the former crew chief of a Huey I was writing about. He lived in Rochester at the time and just in passing conversation asked if I had seen the site in Rochester? Not only had I not seen it, I had never even heard of it! I told him that I had a future trip planned to Buffalo and would check Rochester out at that time.

Well, as I have often thought, and said on this site, other powers are involved here in ways I do not claim to understand. Rochester has been catapulted from an unknown to one of my very favorite sites.

It is magnificent. It is probably the most well thought out, complete memorial I have ever been to visit.







You approach down a path lined with dedication bricks, placed by families, friends and other to honor those who served in 'Nam and other actions. This path lead to a plaza which hosts a number of flags, a world map and a memorial title. In addition there are markers for each of the 280 from the area who were lost. There are a number of other not often seen elements that I will post in due course.








These are just a few of the first things you see as you enter the site, and this is one of those memorials that is going to take two or more posts to tell its story. So, return on the 10th for the next installment, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see other memorials from New York, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment