Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Colorado XLI

I've been thinking a lot recently about the women who served with us in 'Nam. In a past post I spelled out some details about just how many there were and how many were lost. We are probably all aware of the eight nurses listed on the wall, but many others were lost, too. You can see that post here.

I have just finished reading Kristin Hannah's book, The Women and while it is a novel and has a number of intertwined story lines, I must say that when it comes to 'Nam and the women who served, she gets much of it right. I recommend you read it.

So, as I was looking for something to post from Colorado, I came across these pics from Fountain Valley and decided to share them with you today.




After reading MS Hannah's book it got me thinking about real heroes and these women, especially the Nurses, certainly qualify. We all saw what we saw, did what we did, but these valiant, brave and noble women saw it day after day after day after day. they, too, were treated badly upon return and to this day receive even less recognition and honor than the rest of us do. 

Look through this site and see how very few memorials are dedicated solely to the service of women.

If you get a chance, look up MS Hannah's book: The women.

Next time, on the 16th, we will return to Delaware, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page. Please note that Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico have been added to the list.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron, and Molly from Florida have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment