Monday, May 27, 2024

Memorial Day 2024


Once called Decoration Day just after the Civil War, the day became Memorial Day, in the 1960s. It became official: after all the Civil War veterans were gone.

It was originally slated for the 30th of May as there were no actual battles fought on that day and it was a time of year when many flowers would be available to decorate the graves of the fallen.. As we know it was moved to the last Monday in May so as to provide a three day weekend. 

It is always a little odd for me as I am not sure just how I feel about that. I get the idea but it does seem that the original purpose, to honor our war dead has been usurped by the pool openings, cook outs and the "official state of summer."

 

There has been a more recent effort (2000) to get people to take a single minute, usually at 3 pm, to remember, Called "The National Moment of Remembrance."

Another interesting fact is that the flag is flown at half mast until noon on Memorial Day and then raised to its full height for the remainder of the day. This is the only day of the year that this happens.

It is always interesting to hear how people speak to each other on the most solemn of days. You actually hear some folks, certainly with good intent, says things like "happy memorial Day!" A more appropriate greeting might be along the lines of "Enjoy the holiday, but I will be remembering and honoring those who gave their all for our country."

I've also read that some folks like to say "thank you for your service " to veterans on this day, but I have read research that says that most vets do not like this and that what many hear is something along the lines of "I'm glad you went (to war), so that I didn't have to!"

So, as I say every year, have your cook outs, pool openings etc, but, please take that moment to remember those who cannot celebrate, but instead gave their lives for our country, over 600,000 from WWI onward. If you happen to be in DC this weekend, check out the 600,000 Poppy wall near the Vietnam memorial.

We will return to visiting Vietnam memorials after the "holiday." Join me in Arizona, as always at 9:00 am on June 1.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you, like Joan from Wisconsin, Tony from Texas, Mike from Maryland, Ron and Molly from Florida have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here. Thanks, once again, to all who have contributed.

No comments:

Post a Comment