Wednesday, December 13, 2023

Pennsylvania XLII

 In my ongoing subset of memorial photos those of you who are regulars here (thank you) know that I feature the faces of the soldiers I find at memorials that elected to include statues, graphics or other depictions of those who served.
 
Today, I will share the face of the statue found at the beautiful Pottstown memorial.
 
 
 
It is unusual for me to post a whole photo in this Faces of remembrance series, but I wanted to point out this soldiers hand. It is supposed to be reaching out to viewers and it is said that many actually take his hand and shake it, as in greeting. Here, as I am sure I have mentioned previously, some have left artifacts: a rosary and an unknown (to me) article of some sort.

Also interesting is that this soldier is actually modeled on the brother of one of the lost listed here. This is unusual, too, as artists most often create completely fictional faces or sometimes, composites of a number of people to avoid issues down the road.
 

It astonishes me how artists, sculptors in this case, can capture so much emotion in metal, stone, or whatever their medium of choice might be. The sadness, or loneliness or resolve capture here are amazing.

Next time, on the 18th, we will visit one more memorial before I revert to my yearly habit of featuring photos of something other than memorials. It seems appropriate to celebrate the season with something more upbeat each year. So, meet me on the 18th, as usual at 9:00am, to check out a visit to West Virginia to honor several more of the lost from Morgantown High School.
 
To see additional memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment