Tuesday, November 28, 2023

North Carolina XXII

Returning, briefly to Triad Park in Colfax, North Carolina to share a couple more of the many features and tributes here.

Throughout the park are many small, individual markers to different groups.

Note the dates on this stone. It is extremely rare to find 1956 included at any memorial. As I have stated many times here, the first American soldier was TSgt. Fitzgibbons who was killed in 1956. Thank you to North Carolina for getting it right.

Various engagements are remembered here.

Earlier, I thanked N.C for getting something right, however, now I must take small issue with the above. P. McCree Thornton is credited with this quote (therefore, not unknown) who served two tours in 'Nam with the U. S. Navy. It appears in a book of fiction he wrote and seems to be a very slight misquote or paraphrase of something Theodore Roosevelt said many, many years earlier.

We will return to Colfax in the future to explore additional features of this magnificent memorial site.

Next time, on the 3rd of December, we will revisit Oklahoma, so join me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from North Carolina, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment