Saturday, November 4, 2023

Massachusetts XXXIV

In the years I have been writing these posts I have visited Boston a number of times. My intent has always been to visit and photograph a memorial in a place called Back Bay Fens. For a variety of reasons, it never happened.

On a recent trip to visit relatives who now live in Boston, I determined that this was the time. I told all my family that I was going to leave early on the day we visited, take the pics and then join them wherever they might be.

We went to my nephews apartment and it turns out that he lives, quite literally, across the street from BBF. We walked maybe 5 minutes and I was standing in front of the elusive memorial. Another example, of which there have been quite a few, supporting my wife's belief that this project was "meant to be!"

The Fens and therefore, the memorial, sit quite literally in the shadow of Fenway Park.

The memorial site is the location of several other memorials and is overlooked by a large, imposing statue of an Angel, part of the much larger WWII memorial.

The dates here ascribe the years of the war from 1962 to 1975. any one who is a regular here knows that this is one of my pet peeves as the first soldier was actually killed in 1956. I am never quite sure if this another example of revisionist history or some kind of an error.

 

In the not too distant future, I will add more from this site, so keep checking back to see these and many other meoriaols from around the country.

Next time, on the 9th, we will return to Michigan, so join me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see Vietnam memorials from any state please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

If you are following along at all, you will have seen that a number of you have responded to my request to send me memorials you have seen in your area or where you may have traveled. These submissions help expand the knowledge of how we have remembered the men and women who served or were lost in 'Nam and you help to honor them. If you have any such photos, I would love to see them. Please send them along to the email at the left and I will gladly share them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment