Saturday, January 14, 2023

Nebraska XVIII

 As is so often the case these days, I have been looking through photos in hopes of finding something interesting to share.

I happened onto some pics from the wonderful Veterans Park in Lincoln, Nebraska and came upon this memorial to dogs. If you follow me, you know that I have a particularly soft spot for dogs. I had one in "Nam, not a military dog, just a Shepherd mix that belonged to my unit. She adopted me the day I arrived and basically never left my side. I tried to bring her home, but the plans fell through, and she remained with the unit.

It got me thinking about dogs and how they may have served the military over the years. History tells us that dogs have been used in war throughout history, so it surprised me a bit to learn that the U.S. did not "formalize" their service until 1942.

Many breeds of dogs were trained and used in different capacities, as seen on this memorial.


The glare on this polished stone makes it a little difficult to see that the three dogs are a Sheperd, a Collie and a Doberman. Each breed had its strengths and weaknesses and these three represent all the other breeds that served. 

About 4,000 dogs ended up serving in 'Nam, about 350 were killed, about 200 eventually made it home and the others were turned over the ARVN, euthanized, or simply abandoned as excess equipment.

Many troops were enraged by the abandonment and in 2,000 a law was passed that dogs would no longer be left behind.

A vet is quoted as saying that " if it weren't for these dogs there would be at least 10,000 more names on The Wall.


Here are a few of the names of dogs honored here.

Next time, on the 19th, we will revisit New Mexico, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Nebraska, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment