Wednesday, January 4, 2023

Maryland XXXVI

A number of years ago I was asked to address a group of English students visiting Washington DC. These students save and funds raise for years and years to be able to make the annual "Senior trip" to Washington.

The 50 or so students and their accompanying teachers had visited The Wall and were now eager to learn more about it, the war, and those who served.

One of the other speakers was Charlie Shyab, who it turns out was a Conscientious Objector due to his Adventist religious beliefs. Charlie served as a medic in 'Nam and many years later was responsible for a memorial being built on the campus of Washington Adventist University in Takoma Park, Maryland.

I promised him that I would check it out, and today I fulfill that promise.


He told me about the times he had to set aside his beliefs and actually fire a weapon because the life of the wounded soldier he was trying to save depended on it. This must have been a terribly difficult decision for him. He also told me of the times his men surrounded him to fight off the enemy so that he could continue trying to save a fellow soldier. Remarkable dedication and bravery, though I think he would cringe at my saying so.

I got to thinking about all this and tried for quite some time to find more information on COs. Turns out that 171,000 men were designated as COs during Vietnam, but it was hard to find specific information as to how many actually served and/or were lost. 

I eventually came upon and article that helped clear up the mystery to a certain degree. the article only dealt with Adventists, but the numbers were listed. Just for interesting reference, 148 is more than a few states.                                                              

                                                                                                         Alaska 57

                                                                                                         Vermont 100

Wyoming 119

Delaware 122

                    Nevada 150 (pretty close)

After these, the numbers jump substantially to 195 and beyond, but you can see the sacrifice of these good men, these good soldiers.


While these numbers only speak to the Adventists, it is important to remember that many religions take a similar stand when it comes to war, for instance the Mennonites, the Amish, and Jehovah's Witnesses to name but a few. I have not seen the numbers from these groups.

Anyway, Charlie was able to get a memorial built at the University. It is dedicated to all who were lost in any war, but Charlie is a 'Nam vet and I am honored to include it here.


So, the next time you hear somebody badmouthing Conscientious Objectors, tell them about these guys or direct them here. Everything I have ever read about the CO medics in 'Nam speaks to their bravery and dedication to their fellow soldiers and that they are held in the highest esteem by those who should know: the men and women they served with and whose lives they saved on uncountable occasions.


Next time, on the 9th, we will venture back to Missouri, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maryland, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks!

Update: Don't know why the states listed above will not stay properly aligned, I have corrected, but they will not cooperate. Sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment