Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Alaska XII

In traveling around the country I have come upon varied and interesting sites and it is true that not every single one of them honors only Vietnam and our brothers and sisters that served, were lost, or missing.

Alaska as I have mentioned previously does not seem to have many Vietnam memorials. I was once told that this is because the state does not want to single out a particular war or Service for special recognition.

As you know, if you have been following this effort, that this is mostly true. However, their answer to their desire to honor Alaskans that have served is to have built the memorial found on the highway between Anchorage and Fairbanks within Denali Park.

At mile marker 147.1 on the Park Highway is the memorial and I have written about it elsewhere on this site and today I want to just share the faces found here. You can find the earlier post here.

 

What I find striking about these faces is how little of them you actually can see. It makes me wonder if this is purposeful, creating an anonymity of sorts so as to, once again single out no one. Just a thought.

These faces do seem to differ quite a bit from the one I found in Nome.

Nome, 2020

While these may seem like a bit of a stretch for a Vietnam post, Alaska makes it quite clear that these are meant to represent all soldiers from the 49th state.

Next time, on the 29th , I hope to have something up for Memorial Day. Join me then at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Alaska, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.


No comments:

Post a Comment