Sunday, January 31, 2021

California XXXIII


Santa Paula is about an hour north and a bit west of Los Angeles and I visited when my wife had other business in the area.
 
The memorial here is a multi-war and remembers the local heroes who have fought and sometimes given their all for our country.

I have never seen a memorial like this one and as I have said on previous occasions that I enjoy seeing those that are not quite the usual.


Adorned with a world map ans numerous plaques it speaks to a number of involvements.


There are no markings on the giant map and internet searches have turned up nothing as to when it was erected or for that matter any information at all.

The other side is quite interesting as it features maps of both Vietnam (left) and Korea along with service emblems. The plaque below is dedicated to the man who championed this memorial.

These next plaques are selected from the several across the front of the memorial.

This plaque honors all who have met the challenge.


These two,of course, need no explanation.

The population of Santa Paula in 1968 was roughly 15,000 people and somehow 11 lost seems like a lot to me. 

RIP brothers. 

Next time, on the 5th, I am tying to find something from Colorado, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am and see what I found.

To see additional memorials from California, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment