Thursday, January 21, 2021

Alabama XVI

 I know that last time in West Virginia I promised that we would trek off to Alaska this time, but I decided to make a quick stop in Alabama first.

In keeping with my Faces of Remembrance series I thought I would share these first.

 

I've shared this guy in the past I think, he was one of the very first photos I ever shot on this journey. He stands before the memorial in Mobile Alabama. He is looking at all the names from the area that are honored here. An interesting note is that he is wearing an old army fatigue shirt and across the breast pocket it says, "it never ends." He represents us today as we age and comments on the reality of so many lives still in turmoil.

These next several faces come from a memorial just feet away from the guy above. It is a tribute to squads and the dogs that served with them. It is really small and the faces on each of these next heroes were no larger than my balled fist and I could not get close enough to get really close shots so they suffer some from the process of pulling them out of a larger photo.


 
 
So, while not postcard perfect photos, I think they still show the raw feelings of being on patrol.

Dedicated in 2008 it is actually called the War Dogs Memorial(and can be seen elsewhere on this site) and honors the thousands of dogs, of many varieties that served in Nam.

Next time, on the 27th, as promised before, we will venture back to Alaska, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Alabama, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.


1 comment:

  1. So, the next post will appear on the 26th, not the 27th as stated above. Somehow the edit button has disappeared from Blogger, go figure!

    ReplyDelete