Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Alaska IX

So, about as far away from West Virginia and Alabama as you can get and still be in the states is Nome, Alaska. It really does seem like the ends of the earth. It made me think of an old movie called Ice Station Zebra. while we were not in a blizzard, it was 23 below zero in the middle of the day. fortunately my son had taught me how to dress for these temperatures and it was, unbelievably, no problem. I wanted to make a joke there about it being "no sweat" but it seems to obvious.

This sign is nearby and tells the fascination story of who served to guard the coast.

 

Nome as no specific Vietnam memorial, so I was inclined not to include this guy, but locals told me that he has come to represent and honor all vets and all wars, so I decided to include him after all, besides, c'mon its Nome!!



I copied the following from the Nome radio station's (KNOM) website:

"The Alaska Territorial Guard (ATG), which the statue commemorates, was a division of the US military that defended the Alaska coast during World War II. Its membership was comprised of local, predominantly Alaska Native residents; it was, for this reason, nicknamed the “Eskimo Scouts.” Thousands served in the ATG, although it was largely forgotten for decades by the military bureaucracy. It wasn’t until 2000 and later that ATG veterans were officially recognized as such by the US government and allowed access to benefits shared by other veterans."


His face like so many others shows, I think, a number of emotions. I see determination, bravery, fatigue, perhaps a touch of sadness or grief. You have to wonder how tough one had to be to fight under such formidable conditions.

Next time, on the 31st, we will take a trip back to much warmer California, so join me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Alaska, or any other state. please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment