Sunday, October 11, 2020

West Virginia X

So, I made it to West Virginia recently as it is a relatively easy drive from where I live, no airplanes, no hotels. I went to a place called Capon Bridge.

West Virginia interests me because it had the greatest number of losses in Vietnam, per capita, of any state and yet I have had the most difficult time tracking down memorials to these men and women.

However, I have located this one and it is unique I think. There is a lot of poetry associated with Vietnam, with war in general and while I am sure that it is all sincere, heartfelt and deeply meaningful to those who wrote it, it is also mostly pretty bad. Maybe that's the nature of trying to write beautiful words about horrible things.

 

Now, having taken the chance on saying that, I want to add that I think this is not bad. In particular the line "song of death" well, that's just good!

 

The sentiments here. written 50 years ago or more. seem especially meaningful today.

The soldiers standing guard seem to represent the wars of West Virginia. One must remember that what is now the state at one time was part of Virginia, but broke off because it did not want to succeed from the Union, so the Union soldier here represents the first war for the state and all the rest of his companions followed. 


 

The memorial is located on Legion Street just off Cold Stream Road.

Next time, on the16th we will be as far from West Virginia as you can get. Meet me in Alaska, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from West Virginia, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment