Saturday, October 3, 2015

Nevada V

This memorial in Las Vegas does, to the best of my knowledge,  not yet exist.


 I read a lot about it prior to my most recent visit (September 2014)  and expected to find a completed memorial, but when I arrived it was a vacant lot. I was able to track down one of the sponsors, American Shooters, in town. They had a complete mock-up of the site which they kindly let me try to photograph.You will see from the pics that I was not particularly successful: too much bad light, too much glare and trying to focus through sometimes several layers of plastic. I apologize for what are arguably the worst pictures I have ever posted, but, at least you can get an idea of what is coming. 






Later, when talking with one of the guys there, he said, " We have some of the statues in the back, would you like to see them?" Would I!!

They were being stored near the firing range in the shop and I could not help but feel some internal tension. Here I was looking at one of our own with many different kinds of rounds being fired all around, or so it seemed. Many of these guys were firing things in the AR -15 class and I have not been around so much gun fire in many years. I know that many of us like to continue the use of fire arms and that is certainly our right, but when I got home, I never wanted to handle a weapon again.

There are statues of soldiers from The Revolution through the Global War on Terror planned for the site and the Vietnam representative was among those being stored here.




As indicated above, this is actually a multi-war memorial with a number of wars highlighted and I hope to get back to see it and take some pics of the real thing when it is complete.

I just read this morning about another site, the first specific Vietnam memorial that was dedicated very recently, in Vegas, so when I return I will certainly get that one, too.

For now, however, these will begin to tell the story and once, again, I would like to thank the good folks at American Shooters, 3440 Arville Street, for the kind assistance and interest in this project, they could not have been more helpful.

You can read more about this site here:   http://lasvegasveteransmemorial.org/

Next time, on the 8th, we will take another trip to New Jersey, so join me there, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Nevada, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

UPDATE: This afternoon I spoke with John at American Shooters and he told me the memorial will break ground November 11th of this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment