Monday, December 16, 2013

New Mexico IV


I may have mentioned, before, that New Mexico is one of my favorite places. I was there recently on a family trip and managed to carve out a day to drive over to Grants. Grants lies about 80 miles west of Albuquerque along route 40. I had read often of a memorial there and finally got a chance to see it.


The memorial rests in Friendship Park, along Santa Fe Avenue.




Cibola County, where Grants is located, lost five of her sons in Vietnam. three other of her sons are chiefly responsible for this beautiful tribute. Consisting of three large marble stones each representing vets. The center stone is engraved with the names of the five lost and the other two, larger stones honor all lost or considered missing. The Santa Fe Avenue Beautification Committee planted tulips in the park and along the Avenue.

A number of state officials, Tribal leaders, along with hundreds of bikers headed for The Wall in D.C. were on hand for the dedication.

To see other sites from New Mexico, or any other state, click on the state name on the left side of this page.

1 comment:

  1. I've been there and it is beautiful. I have another story like this from Arizona but have to dig through my notebooks to find and send it to supplement your knowledge. Five from the same town who died in Vietnam. Stay tuned. Like your blog because I lived in NYC off and on for about 45 years.

    ReplyDelete