Sunday, July 23, 2023

Maryland XXXVIII

I set out to find a town in Maryland called New Windsor. I read somewhere that they had a memorial and for some reason I had it in my head that it was a plaque of some kind on the side of a building. I thought it must be an American Legion or VFW or something as these are not too uncommon.

Boy, was I wrong! 

I was surprised and pleased to find this memorial at the site. Beautifully kept with many flowers in bloom, obviously the work of someone who cared.

As I was finishing up shooting my pics I was approached by a young woman who thanked me for visiting the site.

We got to talking and she explained that she and her mother have cared for the site for a number of years after taking over from a much older couple who just couldn't do it any longer.


She spoke about how the site had once been a hospital but was sold and a restaurant built on part of the property that backed right up to where we were standing. She further explained that the land owner whose name was Moor head wanted a war memorial built here and so it was.

Angelica went further to explain that she often models at car shows and has created calendars of same to help raise funds fro the upkeep of the memorial. We talked at some length about how they might consider selling bricks, as is done in a number of places, to generate more funding for the site.


It is hard for me to describe how it made me feel that this young woman was so invested in caring for this memorial.


Sadly, it is necessary to plan for the future.

Many, many thanks to Angelica and her mother for their care and efforts.

New Windsor is a town of around 1,300 and I salute and thank them for this lovely site. It can be found on High Street just north of Church Street. visit if you can.

I hope Angelica, and her mother, will see this and let me know if I have forgotten anything she thinks should be included.

Next time, on the 28th, we will return to Michigan, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maryland, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment