Friday, May 19, 2023

North Carolina XXI

I was completely unaware of this magnificent tribute to so many. When I am planning these trips, I do tons of research to attempt to locate and learn a little about each site I hope to see. Often, misinformation, or scheduling mishaps, or just dumb luck (or the complete lack of it) interferes.

I have related here, on several occasions, stories of people directing me to sites I am unaware of, or of finding an empty field where a memorial is said to be.

In this instance I was traveling through North Carolina and just stumbled upon this vast park, Triad Park, in Colfax, NC. (Also claimed by Kernersville)


This wonderful obelisk was the first warning that something worthwhile was on the horizon.


This entrance pathway offers some hint of what is found further in, but for today, we will simply begin here. there will be more to come at later dates.

The mission statement is clear.

As is so often the case, the numbers have been corrected and/or updated over the years. We now know that 58, 281 of our brothers and sisters were lost as of the four year reconciliation project conducted by the DoD and the VVMF (Vietnam Veterans Memorial Foundation) Names, if appropriate, may be added each year. None have been in the last couple of years, so maybe, just maybe, we have added the last one.

There is much more here to see and I will be doing so in the not too distant future.

Next time, on the 24th, we will check back in to Pennsylvania, so, as always, meet me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from North Carolina, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment