Wednesday, April 19, 2023

Maryland XXXVII

Funkstown, Maryland was originally called Jerusalem and it lies near Hagerstown. It officially became Funkstown  (after its founder) in 1840. Once a thriving mill town, it is now a quiet residential area.

On the town square a memorial was created to honor those who served in WWI. It has been updated over the years and now includes our comrades from 'nam.


Wars from WWI to Vietnam are remembered here.

As far as I can tell, none were lost in 'nam and all listed are being honored as having served.


This additional stone has been added to the right side of the original memorial. there is no additional information provided, but it is not at all uncommon for more names to show up after memorials have been planned, produced and placed. I worked on a memorial in my area and the efforts are strenuous and on going. We worked diligently for years to ensure that all eligible vets were included. It didn't last one day! On the day of the dedication a family member informed us that we had an error. We assured her that we would correct the error upon verification. the verification was never made, so, who knows.

The memorial is located on the corner of  Frederick Road and Baltimore Street.

I am headed for Michigan on the 14th so I hope when I return I will have new sites to share, so join me there, on the 24th, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maryland, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks

 


No comments:

Post a Comment