Saturday, March 25, 2023

Arizona XXXII

Sierra Vista is south, somewhat, of Tucson and I had read that there was a small memorial at the local college and another at a park in the town. You can see the one at the college here.

When I visited the park I could find nothing, I asked a number of the various people visiting that day and all agreed that they knew nothing of any memorial within the park.

As I was leaving, I saw this flag pole and went over to see what it was. And, in fact, there is a small memorial, albeit very non-specific, in the park. I snapped a couple of shots and because I was, now, even more convinced there was nothing more specific to 'Nam was on my way.

Some months later, now, I came across it once again in and wondered who the two people mentioned on it were, why were they honored here.

The first name, Mr. Lopshire, lead to nothing relating to 'Nam or my projects. The second name, Art Orstrander, it turns out, was a Vietnam vet, injured on duty and eventually mustered out: voluntarily or not, I could not determine, as he served ten years. Neither could I find if the injuries involved were while in 'Nam or not.

He is, nonetheless, a 'Nam vet and for whatever reason is remembered and honored here. We owe him that much.

It seemed too great a coincidence that I had heard about a memorial here and that this could not be connected.

Therefore I present it to you today.

Next time, on the 30th, we will make a return visit to California, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Arizona, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment