Saturday, July 23, 2022

Michigan X

Back in March I wrote a post about the service and sacrifice of the many women who served in Vietnam. I was having trouble with my computer that day and the pictures would not post and I promised to return to the issue. You can read that post here.

Today, I have high hopes that the pics will post and our courageous comrades will get some of the respect they so rightly deserve.

This face comes from the lone statue in Heck Park in Monroe, Michigan. As I have stated before, our women comrades are usually depicted as nurses and truthfully all of those who are included on The Wall were.If you go back and read the post from last March listed above, you will  see so many more that perished in our efforts in 'Nam. But, here you will notice that he woman whose face is featured is dressed in flight gear, still a nurse I am sure, but, uniquely attired.

Here is her face.

This “Women Who Served” Monument was added in the spring of 2008. The plaque describes the various roles (non-combatant) that women played during the war in Vietnam and describes the similarities of what they had to endure alongside of the men. Of the thousands who served, there are eight women’s names on The Wall in Washington D.C., but, 56 more died in service to the people of Vietnam.

The plaque below the statue reads:

Next time, on the 28th, we will return to Mississippi, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Michigan, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment