Wednesday, July 13, 2022

Maryland XXXV

It reinforces my seemingly never ending scrounge through my photos to actually find something that I have not posted. I was really, really surprised to find this memorial from Hancock, Maryland, as it was one of my very early trips and I was absolutely sure I had posted it at the time.

I began this journey in late 2009 and these pics were taken in the summer of 2010, so pretty early.

 

So, the Hancock memorial is dedicated to what are often referred to as the 20th Century Wars and nearby there is a marker to the Civil War. I don't know why this one stands separate unless it was added later, perhaps. A plaque specific to Vietnam is placed on the rear of the wall along with a listing of names.

Many names are listed here as having served. On the rear of this wall is a plaque to Vietnam.



"IN MEMORY OF ALL VIETNAM VETERANS

This memorial was erected in memory of the young individuals who went to war as kids and lost their youthful dreams, and some their lives, for a cause - freedom and honor - and came back as men with the horrors of war instilled in every fiber of their being and were never given the respect and honor they so dearly deserved from the public or the United States government.

God will one day judge our actions. Until then, he will shine on the lives of each veteran now and forever more because He was with them in Vietnam. He is the only One that truly knows what they went through and are living with every day."

The names of those who served are listed here, too. 

Otto P. Barnhart seems to be the only one lost according to the information here. I also noted several women's names and five people named McCarthy. I wonder if they are all related in some way?

As you know if you follow this site at all, I am a sucker for statues and this one is poignant due to the familial theme. This was taken well before I had the Faces of Remembrance concept in mind, so I did not take the portraits required to feature what are probably valuable views of grief. Perhaps I will get back to Hancock at some point.

The memorial is located in Widmeyer Park, just off W. Main Street.

Next time, on the 18th, we will take a quick, one stop return to Massachusetts, so meet me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Maryland, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment