Monday, July 18, 2022

Massachusetts XXXIII

It is interesting to me how the faces of our soldiers are depicted in memorials. As you know, if you have followed this site at all, I have spent considerable time sharing some of these with you.

Today, I have one, from Massachusetts, that is located in Dedham. The memorial, if memory serves me, is located in a cemetery and you can see the original post here.

These depictions, as we have seen, range from the most lifelike to the most simple, caricatures, if you will, that represent all as opposed to those that seem to be, but usually are not, actual people.

It is striking, even in these less human-like forms, how the artist is still able to capture the reality of how so many felt. In what is little more than a line drawing we can still feel the sadness, fatigue and resignation in this soldiers face.

We rarely see women depicted in our memorials except as nurses rendering aid to a fallen solder, next time, on the 23rd, we will see something just a little different, so join me then, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from  Massachusetts, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left.


No comments:

Post a Comment