Friday, April 14, 2017

Nebraska XIII

While simply wandering around Nebraska, I stopped in a town hall and asked about a local memorial. while there the nice young woman I was speaking to asked if I was aware of the one in Pierce, her home town? I was not, so she gave me directions on how to find it.


It was only about 30 miles away and what a great find. Several Walls covered with names of those who served from the area.




There are literally hundreds of names that served in 'Nam and I was able to find just one who was lost.




It is extremely rare to find a memorial that has not had names added after the site was dedicated. We are working on a memorial in my town and are working very hard to have it be complete and inclusive. We will see how that works out.


Listed down the right side of the "V" are WWII, Vietnam, Grenada, and Persian Gulf.


It is hard to see in these pics, but Grenada is misspelled (Granada), this stuff happens and there are no easy solutions in stone. I saw a memorial in York, Pennsylvania where a soldiers name had been misspelled and they decided to carve it again, in a slightly different place, correctly.

Located at Brown and Court Streets this memorial is easy to find and there is plenty of parking.

Next time, on the19th, we return to New York, so meet me there at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Nebraska, or any other state, click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment