Monday, April 22, 2013

West Virginia V

Not far from Morgantown is Fairmont. The memorial site there is so interesting that it will take at least two posts to cover it all!

The memorial consists of several different components and today I will stick to the names and the inclusiveness of this site.

 


Located in Marion County, W.V., it announced twice. This pic is on the side of a mail box that is used for flag collection. Another sign is nearby and will be featured next time.


As you can see the wind is blowing hard. I think I have never been colder in my life. My hands got so stiff that I had to get in the car a couple of times to get the feeling back in them. Quite different from 'Nam!


The names of the lost are listed by date on this main wall, but what is a little unusual is that nearby the names of all who served are also listed and honored.




Another interesting plaque honors a father and son who both served.



In addition and very unusual, families, friends and loved ones are considered by the placement of a poem.




Next time, I will explore some other components of the site. these include a Huey with an interesting story and a unique mural that runs along a wall bordering the whole site. So, join me next time for more of the story. Check back on the 27th at 9:00am!

No comments:

Post a Comment