Friday, April 26, 2024

Mississippi VIII

If you have followed along with this effort you may know that the very first memorial I visited was in Ocean Springs, Mississippi. I have told the story and featured various post about that trip a number of times over the years. You can find those posts here, here, and here.

I return today as it is such an important site to me. As I have said in other posts, it speaks to the resilience of vets and the respect of those who created it.

These are three more of the faces from the site for my ongoing Faces of Remembrance series. As long as I can find faces, I will honor them here.




It saddens me, now, that when I took these pictures, I had no idea how this site would look. If I had I would have been more careful about recording the names and other information about these lost heroes.

It is said that "as long as someone says your name, you will never be gone." These photos will have to do. But, if you ever visit Ocean Springs, stop and see this memorial. 
 
And, say their names.

When I visited these many years ago, I noted that several of the names listed on the memorial did not have a photo on display. The creators of the site had posted a request for anyone who might know of a photo to send it to them. I called today to see if all the names had been matched with a photo or how many were still incomplete. If I hear from those in charge, I will update this post with the information.

Next time, on May 1st, we will return to New Mexico, so meet me there, as always, at 9:00 am.

To see additional memorials from Mississippi, or any other state, please click on a state name on the left side of this page. Please check out Canada, Ireland, and Puerto Rico which have been added to the list on the left.

As is now my custom,  I will ask anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not shown here, to send then to me and I will include them (giving you full credit.) Any number of you have added knowledge and honor to this site by doing just that. It is always appreciated and makes this effort better, more completed. Thanks to those who have contributed and to anyone who will do so now or in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment