Saturday, October 1, 2022

Virginia XXVIII

 I was surprised on my several trips to, and research about Roanoke, Virginia that I could find no memorial to Vietnam. It seemed odd that a town of this size would not have anything at all.

It was not until quite sometime later that I discovered that Vinton and Roanoke counties has joined forces to remember and honor all of their lost heroes.

This beautiful memorial does exactly that.

Actually located on a knoll in Vintner, it, appropriately, is called the High ground. All vets will know just what that means. It is at least the second memorial that I have visited with that designation. The other is in Neillsville, Wisconsin and can be seen here and here.

The gazebo like memorial was unveiled in 2011 and honors all who have been lost and all who serve.

The memorial sits on the grounds of a event facility on 11.5 acres

The High Ground designation. for those who may not know, it is said that "a soldier always looks for the high ground" as it is safer.

These are just a couple of views of the memorial and in the not too distant future I will post more with the specifics of those of our lost comrades honored here. The central flag is bronze and I think it is just beautiful.

The memorial may be located at 814 E Washington Ave, Vinton, VA 24179

Next time, on the 6th, we will revisit West Virginia, so meet me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Virginia, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page. 

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left, or any place else. Please send them to the email at the left or directly to me at Ldddad@comcast.net. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment