Saturday, June 18, 2022

Delaware XXI

 

Dover AFB in Delaware is, perhaps, best known as the place where soldiers, lost in battle, are finally brought home. 

The last time I visited, seeking a memorial that I had read about, I was unable to locate it. I gave up and headed home, but before I left I pulled into a post gas station. While there I got talking to the clerk and he said that he worked, during the day, at the post air museum and that the memorial was just outside the building. He told me where it was but by this time it was just too dark to go find it.

So, I left, but now with hope of being able to return.

Today,(6/15/22) I returned.

I found the museum which is actually located off the post, but very near by. The museum itself is not too big but did have a small reference to 'Nam. This Vietnam Airlift building was set up at the rear of the museum in among the various airplanes on display.


This map was inside the small display building
 

Just out side the building was the promised memorial.

The memorial Wall is seen just on the middle left of this picture.
 

It is, however, a general memorial to many. Vietnam, nor any other war is specifically mentioned, except on this one which mentions Korea

However, some of the pavers on the plaza and the long walkway approaching the Wall do honor some who served in 'Nam.

The plaque on the Wall lists only the names of donors.




 

Surrounding the flag area are a number of small stones dedicated to various
air groups that have served our country, but, once again, they are not too specific about particular wars. Meaning, I suppose that they served in several.

These guys served all over, including 'Nam.

After leaving the museum and memorial area, I wanted to head over to the Center for Grieving Families, but more on that next time I write about Delaware.

Next time, on the 23rd, we will revisit Florida, so join me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Delaware, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

I will ask, as I do at the end of nearly every post now, for anyone who has pictures of Vietnam memorials not seen here to please send them to me. I will give you full photo credit for the pic and any information about it you may know. Check your state, or anywhere you may have visited, from the list at the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment