Thursday, April 14, 2022

New York XXVII

Once again I find myself in a quandary. I have asked my readers to send me pics of sites not seen on A Means to Heal, and some of you have done so (thank you again). I am still interested in anything you might have!

My friend Mike Minnick who has so unselfishly shared his pics in the past sent me the ones that follow. They are from Berne, New York, but that is all I know. I have searched and searched the internet, but as is so often happens, I cannot find a single word about them.

As always, I appeal to you: please contact me if you know any information, there is an email on the left side of this page.


Obviously, they are from what is called a multi-war memorial, but it, also, seems that there is a statue, perhaps of a fireman.


This particular type of memorial, in case you have not been here before, is called a Field Cross. Its origins date back to the Civil War and was a way for soldiers to mark where a comrade was lost. It is interesting sometimes to visit memorial sites and note the subtle changes in these markers through the years. It becomes quite natural to be able to tell what war a soldier was lost in by the type of boots, rifle or helmet that is depicted.

As stated this is a multi-war memorial and the names inscribed upon the bricks honor so many, from so many wars and service.

This small sample represents and honors those listed, and those not, for their willingness to serve their fellow man.

Next time, on the 19th, we will revisit North Carolina, so meet me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New York, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment