Saturday, April 9, 2022

New Mexico XXI

At the New Mexico Veterans Memorial there is so much to see. I have written about it elsewhere on this site and you can check that out here.

I have been posting often lately about the faces on memorials and shall do so today also, with one difference.

In addition to the face on the main Vietnam memorial here, I will also share the faces of a soldier returning to his family, something I have only see rarely on this journey.


Once inside this remarkable site you find this lone soldier, as seen in the post listed above.

But, elsewhere, you see this poignant statue of a returning soldier. It is called The Welcome Home Memorial.

Another unusual feature is that it is made of carved wood, I can only think of one other and it, too, is in New Mexico

The family

The soldier

The wife 

Their child

 The plaque below says:

Welcome Home Veterans

The grateful people of New Mexico

want to thank you for

keeping us safe.

It is quite rare to see a memorial that depicts those other than a military member, I can only think of a few, but I think this one is particularly moving.

Next time, on the 14th, we will revisit New York, so join me there, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New Mexico, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment