Saturday, June 19, 2021

Pennsylvania XXXIII

When I am on a picture journey I always try to take what I think of as location identifying pictures as it is often many, or sometimes years, later when I actually post the memorial photos here.

Sometimes I forget and later have to beg my readers to help me identify the location of a particular site. Often they do.

It looked as if today's memorial was going to fall into the "where the heck was that?" category.

I knew I was in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area when I took it but that was about all I could remember. I searched and searched my usual sites for information but was coming up empty. I asked my friends who were from that area if they knew of the memorial: nothing.

So, I pulled one of the four names on the memorial and did some searches for any info and lo and behold I found it.

Located on the corner of Washington Avenue and W. Broad street in West Hazelton is this memorial that, it turns out, had just been dedicated days prior to my visit.

Dedicated on May 26th, 2019, it honors forever, the four men from the area who made the ultimate sacrifice.

These men, like the 58,279 others, who gave up their hopes, dreams and futures for their country, for a country many of us had never even heard of before the mid '60s, will always be remembered and honored here.

Rest in peace, brothers, rest in peace.

Next time, on the 24th, we will return to Texas, so meet me there, as usual, at 9:00am.

To see other memorials from Pennsylvania, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment