Friday, June 4, 2021

New York XXV

Before I left New York the last time, I checked to see if could locate any memorials as I was driving  home. I was happy to find a memorial on Staten Island that I could visit while heading south.

I got off the bridge at the right exit and proceeded to find my way.

It turns out that the memorial was actually located on a corner but within the grounds of a National Guard Armory.

There was absolutely no place to park even though I drove around for a while. So, I pulled up into the driveway/entrance to the Armory and was immediately met by a guard.

She approached by car and told me in mo uncertain terms that I was to turn around and get off the property NOW. I tried to explain that all I wanted was to take a photo of the memorial, just inside the fence, but she was having none of it. She repeated, her hand was actually on the her holster, that I was to get off the property ( I know what a threat I must have been, 70+ years old and all.) She did allow me to turn around, but stood there the whole time watching with a keen eye. I have to admit that I have wondered since what the hell must be going on in that NG Armory, but I digress.

So, reluctantly, I drove away. But, while slowed at the traffic light on the corner I grabbed my camera and fired off a few shots out the passenger side window as I drove by the site. They are not what I would have liked to have gotten, but here they are.

 The memorial is located on the corner of Manor Road and Martling Avenue in what is called Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park (even though, apparently no one is allowed in.)

 

Placed by Vietnam Veterans of America it honors the 84 or 85, I've seen both numbers, who were lost to us in Nam.

I will, at some point get back there and get better ones and will update them here.

Next time, on the 9th, we will venture back to North Carolina. So, as always, join me there at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from New York, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment