Monday, April 26, 2021

Colorado XXX

Colorado Springs as you probably know is the home of the Air Force Academy and if you follow this site you know that it also has a pretty remarkable memorial site not far away.

I have written about it often.

Today, I want to share what is probably the last one from this site that pertains to Vietnam and and we its vets.

I mentioned this one briefly in a past post but wanted to give it its due here. MIA/POWs are frequently mentioned and I expect always in the minds of those who participated in the war and probably many, many others. It there are nagging questions: what happened to them, are there any POWs still in captivity, will we ever resolve these issues?

 I, for one, harbor no illusion that these are any remaining POWs, but there are those who disagree. We may or may not ever know for sure. We do know that there are many still unaccounted for MIAs. There is a long running effort and cooperation between the US and Vietnam in a joint recovery task force to try to find and identify these lost. I believe the current number is in the neighborhood of 1300, down from 2645.

 
 
So, these memorials are important and a constant reminder of our duty to
be diligent and never ceasing in our efforts to bring our heroes home.

If you are interested in how many from your state are still MIA you can check here:

https://www.dpaa.mil/Our-Missing/Vietnam-War/Vietnam-War-POW-MIA-List/

 
 
My state, Maryland, is still missing 23, I admit I was surprised.
 
Some one must have visited today, as these offerings are removed each evening

Next time, on the 1st of May, we will revisit Connecticut, so meet me these, as always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Colorado, or any other state, please click on the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment