Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Alabama XVII

Several years ago now, I returned to Alabama to see what I might find. In Birmingham, as I reported then, I found this astounding memorial in Veterans Memorial Park. I posted about it and promised to return to once more to highlight some of the other interesting components of the memorial.

Last time I focused on the Hall of Honor and you can find that elsewhere on this site. Today, however, I want to share a few of the artifacts on the 36 pillars outside. 


"There are 36 Columns in the Regiment, each two feet in diameter and 20 feet in height.  The Columns support aluminum casts of 24 citations for Alabama’s Medal of Honor recipients from the 20th Century.  They also support veterans’ stories, veterans’ letters and 59 related original works of art designed by Alabama artists"*

Here are a few:

 


They are often, like the ones above, undesignated.


Some are disturbing.


And, some are distinctively ours. 

Other plaques on other pillars are excerpt from letters home from those lost, or Citations for the 25 Alabama Medal of Honor recipients from the 20th and 21st Centuries.

This memorial is without a doubt one of the most stunning I have visited on this journey. If you ever are in Birmingham, take the time to see it.

Next time, on the 11th, we will revisit Alaska. Meet me there, in The Last Frontier, to see how much it has changed in 10 years or so. As always, at 9:00am.

To see additional memorials from Alabama, or any other state, please click the state name on the left side of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment